With the chaos of the season upon us, it’s sometimes hard to keep track of the activities that begin after the holidays. We’ve compiled this list of upcoming registration deadlines for a host of activities in town (primarily for children, but there are a few for adults as well) to make sure that you don’t miss out.
- Parks and Recreation—There are still openings in many adult programs including paddle (next session begins 1/4/14), guitar, and boot camp. Kids programs—including indoor soccer, basketball, horseback riding (at Mead Farm in Stamford), LEGO in Motion, and our personal favorite, Little Scientists—have start dates ranging from January to March. Registration is rolling.
- Darien Youth Lacrosse—Registration for Spring 2014 for boys and girls in grades 1 to 8 will close on December 22. Starting December 23, all registrations will be placed on a waitlist.
- Little League Baseball and Softball—Registration is open now for students beginning in kindergarten until age 14. Regular registration for students in grades 2 and higher closes 12/31/2013. After that date, the fee increases $50 per registrant. Kindergarten and 1st grade players have until 1/31/2014, after which the $50 late fee applies.
- Darien Nature Center—The winter session at the Darien Nature Center starts 1/6/14. They offer programs for preschoolers beginning at age 2, as well as afterschool programs for older kids up to grade 6. (The Animal Caretakers Club, for students in grades 1 to 6, gives kids an opportunity to care for the nature center’s animals—a perfect solution if the kids are disappointed not to find a puppy under the tree on Christmas morning.)
- Darien School of Dance—Housed at the YWCA, the Darien School of Dance will begin its spring session on 1/13/14. The school is also hosting a Tutus & Tiaras Dance Camp during the holiday break on Monday and Tuesday, December 30 and 31, from 10am-12noon. Open to non-students of the school, this special camp will feature a dance class with arts and crafts and holiday fun for children ages 4 to 6 ($40 per day).
- Darien Arts Center—The DAC offerings spring session classes in dance, theater, music and visual arts. For new students, dance class registration begins 1/2/14.
- Baseball at the YMCA—Winter session instructional hitting clinics for little leaguers ages 9-12 begin on 1/6/14. A second winter session begins on 2/3/14.
- Spring Volleyball at the YMCA—Registration is currently open for girls in grades 6, 7, and 8. The session begins on 3/18/14.
- YMCA Spring Futsal—This popular indoor soccer program for boys and girls in kindergarten through fourth grade meets in the Tokeneke gym beginning 2/25/14.
- Ice Skating at the Darien Ice Rink—Winter sessions begin the week of 1/4/14. Classes are offered on Mondays and Wednesday from 4:10-5:40 and Saturday from 2:00 to 3:40.
- Storytime at the Darien Library—Lottery registration will begin 1/13/14, and the session begins on 2/3/14. Look for updated storytime info in the third week of December.
- Tech Classes at Darien Library—Looking to brush up your technology skills in everything from Microsoft Word to LinkedIn to WordPress? Darien Library has a class for that.
- “From Pigment to Pixel: Color in Modern and Contemporary Art” at Darien Library—Part of the Library’s collaboration with the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan, this self-guided class will include a video of an art history lecture each week that will be followed by a staff-facilitated discussion. Following that, students will be invited to explore the online learning module at their own pace. Lottery registration is open now. Class begins 1/21/14.
Is there something we missed? Let us know in the comments or email email@example.com.