I know, I know. It’s 12 degrees out, and you’re more concerned about surviving the next snow day than making decisions about summer camp, but believe it or not, summer camp registration deadlines are approaching quickly.
We will have more information as it becomes available, but we wanted to give you a few dates to keep on your radar screen so you’ll be ready for the popular programs that fill up fast.
The camps described below are day camps in or near Darien. If you’re interested in sleep away camps, check out the Camp Fair in the Darien High School cafeteria on Saturday, January 31 from 1:00 to 3:30 pm hosted by Tips on Trips and Camps.
- Darien YMCA Summer Camp—Preschool camps are held at the YMCA building on the Post Road and include half-day and full-day options. School-age camps (full day only) are held at an elementary school in town (the last few years it’s been Ox Ridge) and include bus transportation to/from the Y for swimming, sailing, etc. The Y also offers a gymnastics camp for girls ages 5 to 12 and special needs camp for children ages 3 to 15. Registration begins February 3rd.
- The YMCA will be hosting parent information sessions on January 15, February 3, and March 12. Each of those nights, Gymnastics Camp will be discussed from 5:30 – 6:00 PM, Pre-School Camp from 6:00 – 6:30 PM, and School Age Camp from 6:30 – 7:00 PM.
- Darien Nature Center— A fantastic lineup of summer fun and enrichment for children ages 2 through 6: but registration is first-come-first-served, and we strongly recommend that you plan to register in person on February 7th from 10am to 2pm to make sure you get the weeks you want. Online registration will open on Monday, February 9th, at 10:00am.
- Summer Fun/Toddler Time at the YWCA—A 2-hour, drop-off enrichment program for 2 to 3 year olds (3 year olds who have not completed a threes preschool program). It begins in late May and runs for 10 weeks (through mid-August). You may choose to enroll your child for 1, 2, or 3 days a week. Registration begins January 30 for members; February 2 for non-members.
- Darien Youth Commission—Summer Camp Often referred to as “Town Camp,” this camp operated by the Youth Commission usually begins registration in late February/early March. The kindergarten camp, in particular, tends to fill up quickly.
- Darien Summer School—Offerings at summer school (hosted at Darien High School and Tokeneke) include programs to catch up or get ahead in math, science, reading, and a range of academic subjects for kindergarteners through high school students, as well as a middle school orientation program and a host of arts, theater, music, and sports programs. Printed catalogs arrived in the mail last week or a PDF can be accessed here. Online registration begins January 19th. (Click here for more info on Darien Summer School.)
- Darien Arts Center—The DAC usually offers a pre-school art and dance camp (for pre-k and k students) as well as an art, dance, and theater production workshop for students in grades 1-4–in addition to classes in art, music, dance, theater, and martial arts. Look for more information to be available this spring.
- Although not located in town, Playland (in New Canaan) and Long Ridge (in North Stamford) are popular options that offer transportation to camp as part of their package.
DON’T MISS SOME ADDITIONAL AREA CAMP RECCO’S OFFERING EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS – CLICK HERE!
Got questions about summer camp? Let us know in the comments below or email email@example.com.