Ah, the age old tradition of parent-teacher conferences. In Darien, all public elementary schools have early dismissal Tuesday, December 2 through Friday, December 5th (click here for info on individual school dismissal times). As eager as we are to hear how our kids are doing at school, early dismissal for those very same kids can sometimes pose a scheduling challenge.
Here are some activities to keep those kiddos occupied:
1. Darien After School–Darien After School runs enrichment programs at Holmes, Tokeneke, and Royle during the regular school year, but during conference week, they are opening their programs at Chelsea Piers, Darien Arts Center, and Twin Rinks up to all Darien elementary school students. But register soon: spots are filling up fast!
2. Darien Nature Center–The Nature Center is offering programs on Tuesday and Wednesday from 2-4 pm. Kids will get up close and personal with a variety of animals from their collection and f time and weather allow, they will also go outside and explore the park in search of native wildlife. Register for one or both days for $40 per child.
3. Darien Library–Our fabulous library offers several free programs, including Fireside Tales for kids in Grade 2 and up on Wednesday, December 3rd at 3pm (registration required by clicking here) and Minecraft Fridays for kids in Grades 3-6 on December 5th from 4 to 6 pm. Registration is not required for the Minecraft event, but in order to play, kids will need their own Minecraft user name and password and should already been whitelisted/approved to play on the Fairfield County Minecraft Server (click here for information about how to make all that happen).
4. Green Moon–Get the holiday started early at Green Moon in Rowayton, with their Gingerbread House workshop on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday at either 1:30-3:00 pm or 4-5:30 pm. Workshops are $45 per child and are filling up fast so register ASAP.
5. If the kids are just needing to burn off some energy from missing gym class, check out the Playquad at Kids U, which is generally open from 10 am – 5 pm, with Inflatables added on Thursday and Friday (click here for specifics). Pump It Up in Norwalk offers $10 Tuesdays on December 2nd from 4-6 pm, Open Jump on Wednesday from 4-6 pm, and Family Jump on Thursday from 5:30-7:30 pm (click here for specifics).
6. Since other districts do not have early dismissal this week, it can also be a great time to schedule those Santa visits/photos at Stamford Town Center (note that Santa usually takes a break from 1-2 pm) or Santa’s Workshop at McArdle’s Garden Center in Greenwich where you can also visit with real, live reindeer (Santa opens for photographs beginning at noon).