On election day, Democrats and Republicans come together over one issue: THERE IS NO SCHOOL. What’s a voting parent to do? (Note: our vacation camp mainstay, the Darien YMCA, does not offer programs for Election date).
1) Kids U in Stamford has vacation camp for kids ages 3-9 in the afternoon from 1-4. It is $50 for the first child and $45 for each additional sibling.
2) Overtime Athletics is offering a one-day camp at SoNo Field House for kids in kindergarten through grade 6. This camp runs from 9 am to 4:30 pm and includes all manner of sports in the incredible SoNo Field House facility, as well as arts and crafts and games. At $55 per child, it’s also very affordable. (Update: We have heard that the election day camp is sold out, but you may want to give a call to confirm: 203-831-0405).
3) Chelsea Piers does not offer camp, but does offer drop in sessions throughout the day. The Splash Zone and Jump and Climb sessions are particularly popular and tend to book up quickly. Call first thing in the morning to reserve your spot.
4) Darien Library will be offering the family film You’re Not Elected Charlie Brown in the Community Room from 1 to 2 pm.
5) JAM (Junior Art and Music) usually offers open studio time on Tuesdays from 12-5.
A couple of unique programs a little bit farther away:
6) For the Percy Jackson fan in your life: Wilton Library is offering Camp Half-Blood, a day camp that will include all the training a growing half-blood needs to survive ancient Greek monsters in our modern world. The day goes from 9 am to 5 pm and includes a pizza lunch. $55 per person. Pre-registration required.
7) For the history buffs: Westport Historical Society is hosting a program called “Hats off for Election Day.” Open to kids from age 5 to 12, this program lasts from 10 am to 2 pm and includes a little bit of history and a little bit of crafting as kids make their own tricorn hats, the three-cornered style of headgear worn by most men in the late 18th century. $50 registration fee. Pre-registration required.