Newcomers eKit: Get Signed Up & Squared Away
Get Signed Up & Squared Away
A critical part of getting settled in to your new life in Darien is making sure you’re signed up for the various stickers, passes, permits and so forth that will be necessary (or helpful) to you moving forward. We’ve done our best to bottom line them for you, here.
The Town Hall
- Dog Registration – Yes, your pooch(es) older than 6 months must be registered with the Town Hall. For more information about liscencing and ordinances (leash laws, etc) click here. *Note: liscence renewals occur annually in June, and there is no prorating the fee.
- Train Station Parking – Monthly and Daily Permits and Information
- Beach & Boating Permits (Before you visit the site, read up on the “7 Who’s, What’s and How’s About Darien Beach Stickers” we recently published)
- Dump & Receycling Center Permits (please note: we now call it the “Recycling and Refuse Center.”)
- Register to Vote
- Register your number with CodeRed – Town-wide Emergency Notification System
- Darien Public Schools Registration Forms & Info
- Kindergarten Registration Schedule, Forms & Info
- ASPEN (an online Parents’ Portal administered by the Darien Public School System) The ASPEN portal is where information like your child(ren’s) health and emergency contact records are stored, and also reports things like attendance records and grades for older students. This is also the information school officials use to notify us of school closings, delays, emergencies, etc. After registering your child(ren) for school, follow this link to submit a request for username and password. It will take about 2 weeks for your request to be processed.
- Pre-School Options and Enrollment Information
- Two’s Programs
For additional information about Darien Public Schools programs, etc, refer to the “Schools Scoop” section of this guide.
Clubs & Social
- You’ve probably already been urged by your realtor and new neighbors to join the Newcomer’s Club at the YWCA Darien/Norwalk, but if you haven’t, let us be the ones to urge you to do so! Between the ladies’ night mixers, book clubs and organized get-togethers through offshoots including Wine Taster’s Club, Gourmet Group and Internationals Club, there’s something for everyone here. We hear time and again from seasoned residents that their greatest friendships began “through Newcomer’s” – so we hope you’ll get signed up ASAP!
- Whether you enjoy gardening or running or skiing or local politics or technology, you’re sure to find an opportunity you’ll love by perusing this list of local clubs, organizations and volunteer opportunities in town.
- For more information about opportunities to socialize, don’t miss our Make New Friends section!
Youth Athletics & Enrichment Programs
Check out the following Darien-based not-for-profits that offer exceptional (and very popular!) outside-of-school enrichment programs and activities for kids (and in many cases, adults too!) Although some of the programs require registration during a specific timeframe, many of them offer ongoing enrollment – so it’s worth a call if you find some you like. Click the names below to be taken directly to their program brochure and/or info pages online.
- Darien Parks & Recreation
- Darien YMCA
- Darien Nature Center
- YWCA Darien-Norwalk
- Darien Library ** make sure to join their email list, as they regularly send notices about special events or classes they are offering, visiting authors, book clubs, etc.
So …. feel like making some new friends?