Did you know that Darien public schools are closed to students on Monday, October 12th for staff development? If you need a plan to keep the kiddos entertained, here are the options we’re exploring:
1) Vacation Camp at the Darien YMCA is a wonderful thing for kids from age 3 through Grade 5. Kids will get to swim, do arts and crafts, play games, and spend some time in the gym. Pre-schoolers have a half-day option (9 am – 1 pm) or can stay all day with the big kids (9am – 4 pm) and there are extended care options available both before and after. Older kids (grades K-5) will be taking a field trip to the Fun 4 Kids arcade in Stamford (a huge selling point for kids who are “too cool” for vacation camp).
2) Overtime Athletics offers a fantastic bargain of a program at SoNo Field House in Norwalk: just $35 per child buys a whole day of sports-oriented fun for kids from age 5-13 from 9 am to 4 pm (there is an 8 am early drop off option as well). This program tends to sell out so preregistration is recommended.
3) Kids U in Stamford has vacation camp for kids ages 3-9 in the afternoon from 1-4. It is $50 for the first child and $45 for each additional sibling.
4) Pump It Up in Norwalk has open jump sessions throughout the day that are $14 per child and adults are always free. (Note: this is not a drop off camp.)
5) Hands on Pottery will be open for drop in painting all day Monday.
6) Older kids (ages 8+) will enjoy seeing author Sarah Albee at Darien Library where she will explain some of the crazy clothes that people have worn throughout history. (This is a drop in event for which tickets are distributed 15 minutes prior to show time, but often the line forms well before that so be sure to get there early!)
7) Chocolate Works of Darien will be open for business and they will have DROP-IN/ DROP-OFF Columbus Day-themed chocolate/ open molding activities from 1 to 6 pm.
It’s also a terrific time to get some apple picking done (click here to check out our handy guide) or if you want to get a head start on your Halloween decorating and are interested in a little pumpkin patch exploring, we love Warrup’s Farm in Redding (which will also have hayrides all weekend–including Monday) and Jones Farms in Shelton (just down the road from Beardsley’s Cider Mill).
Enjoy the day!