There may still be snow on the ground, but that isn’t stopping me from a frenzied sweep through the closets and basement to clear out the clutter from years past that has been taunting me all winter! For those of you who are also having spring cleaning fever, we hope the following guide to where, when and how to dispose of clutter in/around Darien is helpful.
TOWN PICKUP SERVICE
The town of Darien offers a free pick-up by appointment service for residential items that are too large for transport by a passenger car or SUV. Limited to one pick-up per household, per year.
Note: for safe, responsible disposal of household hazardous waste, (from oven cleaners and floor polish to weed killers, paints and paint thinners and driveway sealers and more), the town hosts a Hazardous Waste Day allowing you to bring it all down to a designated drop-off point and let the Department of Public Works/Darien Recylcing and Refuse Center take it from there. Keep an eye on this page for this year’s schedule.
Darien has a Swap Shop at the Recycling & Refuse Center (dump) on Ledge Road, open from 7 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Any Darien resident with a dump sticker is welcome to pick up or drop off items, with the exception of: TV’s, A/C units, anything broken, matteresses and cribs.
- Darien Boy Scouts Tag Sale: When it comes to large items, like dressers or furniture, or other items that are in good shape for donation yet too big for your car, you can call on the Darien Boy Scouts to help you remove them: they will happily pick up the items for sale in their annual Tag Sale, which is scheduled for May 3, 2015. Click here to schedule a pick up on April 11th or 25th (if drop off is more your style, click here for days and hours). Call ahead to get on their list and/or learn more (656-1830 ext 3).
- Person-to-Person in Darien is always accepting dontaions of clothing for all ages, and will even pick up used furniture in good condition for donation to needy families in the area.
- DCA Thrift Shop: Located downtown at 996 Post Road, the thrift shop is open Tuesdays thru Saturdays from 10am to 4pm and accepts tax-deductible donations at any time during business hours (203-655-4552).
- Salvation Army: If your items are gently used furniture, clothing or household items, or you have a vehicle to donate, you can call the Salvation Army (1-800-728-7825) and they might even come pick them up.
There are 2 great consignment shops in Darien.
- Double Exposure Consignment Boutique accepts all variety of adult brand name clothing items, shoes, accessories (purses, scarves, furs),
- The Children’s Attic accepts women’s maternity and children’s clothes, shoes, toys and accessories.
- In order to have a tag sale, whether as an individual residence or neighborhood group, you must obtain a permit from the Darien Police Department. This helps them prepare for any traffic or pedestrian issues that might require additional resources.
- If you’re having a tag sale (or know of someone who is, LET US KNOW! We’ll include the details in our What-to-Know Weekly email newsletter to help drive people to the sale.
- Thinking about selling a few items online instead? Whether you’ve got something to sell or are interested in the fabulous finds being sold by other Darien residents, check out the Darien Area Moms Tag Sale Group on Facebook. A nominal membership fee ensures the quality and reliability of Darien-based buyers and sellers and their items, and provides ongoing opportunities to give back to the community by the administrator, herself a Darien resident who grew up in town and is now an elementary school teacher.
Got some other tips or suggestions? We’d love to hear them! Post a comment below ….