It’s that time of year again! The Darien Department of Public Works will begin the first of three scheduled leaf pick ups on Monday, November 2nd, for homes north of the railroad tracks, or Wednesday, November 4th, for homes south of the railroad tracks.
- Round 2: Monday, November 16th, for homes north of the railroad tracks, or Wednesday, November 18th, for homes south of the railroad tracks
- Round 3: Monday, November 30th, for homes north of the railroad tracks, or Wednesday, December 2nd, for homes south of the railroad tracks
Participation in leaf pick up is voluntary. Residents are encouraged to compost leaves on their own property. Residents with current permits may dispose of leaves at the Darien Transfer Station any time the station is open (Mondays-Saturdays, 7 AM to 2:45).
Some further tips:
- Leaves will only be picked up if bagged and the bag must be clearly marked “100% Biodegradable” and made of paper. Loose leaves or leaves in plastic bags will not be collected. (You can find these bags at Stop & Shop.)
- Bags must contain only leaves. Bags containing brush, grass clippings, garbage, or other material will not be collected.
- Bagged leaves should be at the curb by 7:00 AM on the first morning of the date listed for your area. Once leaves have been collected, no return trips will be made until the next scheduled pick-up.
- Leaves will be collected on public roads only. Residents of private roads should make their own arrangements for leaf collection.