Martin Luther King JR. Day is a federal holiday so schools are closed. The post office and most banks are closed as well. Here in Darien, the library is open for regular hours (9 am to 9 pm), as is the YMCA (for everything except Holly Pond Preschool and Holly Care).
So, what will you do with your day? Here are some suggestions:
- The Darien YMCA is running a one-day vacation camp for kids from 3 years old through fifth grade that will include swimming, arts and crafts, open gym, and more. The full day is 9 am to 4 pm, with extended care available before and after camp, and there’s also a half-day (9 am – 1 pm) option for preschoolers.
- Chelsea Piers, just over the border in Stamford, is not offering a vacation day camp on Monday, but they are featuring a variety of drop in options, from the wildly popular Splash Zone to the Jump/Climb Zone at the Adventure Center to the Batting Cages and more. If you are not a Chelsea Piers member, you cannot make advance reservations for these activities, but you can call on Monday morning to see what is available.
- Kids U in Stamford is running camp for kids ages 3 to 9 from 1 to 4 pm for $50 for the first child; $45 for additional siblings.
- Pump It Up in Norwalk is not hosting a drop off camp, but they willhave Open Jump from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm. Kids can come and jump their sillies out for $12 per person.
- At 11 am, the Darien Library will be hosting a special concert by Turtle Dance, a band whose shows sare designed to be accessible to children with special needs and neurotypically developing children. They will also host their regular Preschool Time (for 3 to 5 year olds) at 1:30 pm.
- Green Moon in Rowayton in having a Frozen-themed cookie decorating workshop from 1:30 – 3 pm. Aimed at kids ages 3-7, the workshop costs $45 (be sure to register ASAP–this workshop will sell out).
- Older kids may enjoy Selma, the story of Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965 to campaign for equal voting rights. It is showing at the Darien Playhouse at , , and
- For many, Martin Luther King Day is observed as a Day of Service. If you are interested in finding an opportunity to volunteer, there is a database searchable by ZIP code at www.allforgood.org.
Got questions or suggestions? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.