Updated June 27, 2015
Individual taste in restaurants is just as varied as individual personalities, and once you throw kids into the mix with their picky eating, impatience, and occasional problems with volume control (or is that just me?), choosing a spot to dine out can seem particularly challenging. Here are some of our favorite family friendly spots to share a meal in town.
1. Burgers, Shakes, and Fries–This restaurant makes my whole family happy. The kids love the grilled cheese sandwiches and the black-and-white milkshakes, and my husband and I like the burgers, surprisingly terrific salads, and compelling beer selection.
2. The Goose–Slightly more upscale than BSF, The Goose offers a terrific (if pricey) children’s menu (“for the Goslings”) and a robust menu for adults, including the fabulous Goose flatbread pizza with caramelized pears and arugula that we’re incapable of passing up every time we visit.
3. Chipotle–It took us awhile to realize that Chipotle even has a kids’ menu, but they do, and it’s fabulous: the taco “kit” is a small tray that comes with two shells (hard or soft) and your choice of meat, beans, rice, cheese, or guacamole on the side–none of the ingredients touching any of the others because that would be wrong. Our advice: it’s a small dining room that always draws a crowd so it’s best to go at off hours.
4. Fuji of Japan–Who doesn’t love hibachi? Not only is dinner at Fuji entertaining and delicious, but on Monday nights when kids eat free, it’s especially affordable.
5. 1020 Post–This may seem like an unconventional choice since it can be pricey and they don’t even have a children’s menu, but they make a mean grilled cheese (off the menu) and on Sundays bottles of wine are 50% off, which makes an early Sunday evening meal here a wonderful way to toast the end of another lovely weekend over too soon.
6. Post Corner Pizza — Delicious Greek pizza, a diner-esque menu including salads, burgers, and entrees, and a wait staff who takes even the most challenging toddler tantrums in stride make PCP an easy, come-as-you-are option for frazzled parents seeking a kid-friendly dinner solution.
7. Bodega — How do I love Bodega? Let me count the ways. It’s a fabulous spot for a quick lunch or a late night out with friends, but amazingly, it’s also a great place to take kids. Their simple kids menu offers great options for even the pickiest eater, and the S’mores Fundido is the gooey, perfect ending to any meal.
That’s our list. What’s on yours?